A communication system and method of transmitting/receiving sensitive data from a laser source through a non-confined optical free-space to any predetermined direction. The invention has been issued a patent
The technology of laser communication or free-space optical communication has matured to meet the growing demand of higher data transmission to and from aircrafts, satellites and mobile devices. Free-space optical communication system uses air link as a medium of transport to send and receive sensitive information. Unlike radio-communication which is prohibited in certain geographical regions (e.g., hospital areas) because of its detrimental effects on equipments sensitive to such radiations; free-space optical communication on the other hand does not pose these risks. The advent of lasers as a principal means of free-space communication, has led to the design of devices for transmitting and receiving sensitive data based on a fixed point to point form of communication. There is a need for a laser communication system that will allow changing the direction of reception and transmission of data to meet communication needs in a dynamic environment (e.g., a person talking on a phone and moving).
UCF engineers and scientists have designed a novel free-space communication system that is able to directionally send and receive radiation of one or several laser beams having the same or different frequency/ wavelengths. Additionally, signals with the same or different frequencies can be sent simultaneously to different locations thereby maintaining communication between users placed at different location. Moreover, this system overcomes the consumption requirements of high-power lasers.
- This system is able to receive and send data at different frequencies without any movable part
- This system is simple and relatively easy to install
- This invention provides reliable communication without consuming excess powerPerforms faster than conventional systems
- Light or radar detection and ranging (LIDAR and LADAR) to determine information from a distant object as well as getting information from the ground and sending it to satellites
- Network communication for systems of fiber-less optical networks in providing high speed data networking
- Connection to metropolitan optical networks